I LOVE it when my child asks for broccoli. And while this actually does happen on occasion, its not often enough. So I often resort to "sneaking" some extra nutrition into my family's diet.
One of my favorite and least-detected ways is: Flax seed.
I put flax seed in cookies, pancakes, oatmeal, breads, I have even added it to stir-fry for a nutty flavor.
There are many benefits of Flax seed:
Great source of magnesium
(and you all know how I feel about this miracle mineral)
Good source of fiber
(so important I need to devote a post JUST to fiber)
Cancer preventative properties
Lowers cholesterol
May guard against heart disease
and the list goes on...
I add as much as I can but not enough that the family notices. Example: for a batch of cookies, I probably add about 1/2 cup before I add the flour and then only add the flour until batter is the right consistency (it usually ends up being a little less than the recipe calls for.)
Hugs and happy "sneaking" good nutrition into our diets!
Shhh.... don't tell my family :)
No comments:
Post a Comment