Tuesday, August 25, 2009

American Girl

Last winter I reserved the American Girl movie Kit Kittredge at the library. Olivia wasn't quite ready for it at the time, but since then we have watched Samantha, Felicity and Molly. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the story lines of these movies! Olivia loves them too and they provide lots of opportunities for discussion about life. I can't wait to start reading the books with her.


Then, McDonald's started the American Girl mini-books in the Happy Meals. We haven't been frequenting McDonald's lately, until now. Olivia wants to collect each mini-book.





Then I ordered her the free American Girl catalog and we re-reserved Kit and she LOVES it.




She has decided that the new American Girl, Rebecca, is the one she resembles. Ironically she hasn't asked for a doll or any of the things in the catalog, so far she is just enjoying looking through it.


I am sure we will save for one one day. Not so much to play with (although if she wants to that will be fine) but more as a keepsake, one day to be passed down to her little girl. (which by the way, I will be changing ALL of the diapers for, because she said she won't be having children if she has to change diapers). :)


This reminds me of the Holly Hobbie and Strawberry Shortcake dolls I used to cherish as a child. While the American Girl dolls are ALOT more expensive, they are a fun childhood memory. I love it when childhood toys are not only cherished in childhood but cherished for generations to come.
I love this quote:
"If you carry your childhood with you, you will never get older"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we used to spend so much time looking through the american doll magazines...i loved them!

maria (i am on my mom's computer and i think i am signed in as her:))

Susie said...

Britt had a Kitt-themed bday last year. She watches the movie often and I think I like it as much as she does!!!!

I will save any extra happy meal Amer Girl sets for Miss Olivia!

love
susie