Friday, October 30, 2009

It finally happened....

Last night one of my biggest fears was realized (read a touch of sarcasm and over-dramatization here). We couldn't find Logan's special blanket.

The one he has slept with for 3 1/2 years.

The one that goes EVERYWHERE with us, but must stay in the car.

The one that puts this mama into a panic when it is temporarily missing in the house.

The one that got lost in a park only to be found again because it is so worn that even an animal would pass it up as nesting material.

As with the big things in life, I take the seemingly small things to God - if you combed through my prayer journal over the last couple years you would see things like:

- Prayer for potty training - Check! (both kids)
-Prayer for poopy training (because lets face it, 2 VERY different things) - Check! (both kids)
-Prayer for giving up pacis (I FORCED my kids to take pacis, I was a thumb-sucker) - Check (for Olivia, still waiting on Logan)
-Prayer for giving up Logan's blanket

While this may all seem so trivial in the big scheme of life, I believe that if it has the potential to steal your joy it can be given over to God, who promises to take our cares if we just offer them to him.

So last night in a moment of sheer panic for us (Tommy was so panicked that he said "He will be fine", got on the computer to check his email and catch-up on facebook. Guess we all show panic in different ways, he was CLEARLY in denial), I experienced a calm that can ONLY be from God, since in the past I had not experienced anything related to calm in the lost blanket situations. I found a substitute blanket (that had not worked in the past) cut the tag so that it was "just right", gave it to Logan, explained that his other one was lost, said a quick prayer and left him to fall asleep.

Although he is up a little earlier than normal this morning, and has asked for his old blanket a couple times - WE MADE IT!

Hugs to my blogging buddies!

4 comments:

Susie said...

my kids were blanket-lovers as well and we lost Clay's once. I was in total panic! We did find it and all was well with the world again!

glad he was okay with the substitute!

Danette said...

Oh man, we have been through that many of times. Parker isn't as attatched as Jacob was and I remember losing his blanket in the mall one time and I seriously went into panic mode. We never did find it and thankfully he settled for another one which he still has to this day and he is 9. When I bought Bella a blanket I made sure to buy two right away so we would have a back up :)

Addy said...

My husband shows his *concern* in the exact same way - usually it's ESPN though that he chooses! Glad to know that you made it through!

Anonymous said...

I thought this was so funny - especially since you ended up finding the blanket. I can totally relate. Luckily Micah has 3 blankies he will take, so I have never really gone into panic mode. Your husband's response was great - Nate probably would have panicked in exactly the same way. :)