Thursday, January 26, 2012

Coffee at my kitchen table...

When Tommy announces that he will be out the next day (he offices in our home) I quickly become excited about the idea of having a friend over for coffee and a play date! 

Often times though, I get about 12 hours notice, just in time to text a friend and not enough time to run to the store to buy a yummy snack to go with our coffee as we sit at my kitchen table and enjoy a good chat. 

So yesterday, I was scouring allrecipes.com quickly before our play date friends arrived and came across this simple and SUPER EASY apple crisp recipe.  We buy apples almost every week at the store and the other ingredients are always in the cupboard.  I REALLY love easy, go-to recipes that are made with few ingredients, but ingredients we are likely to have on hand.  Make sense?


(The recipe called for chopped nuts, but we were out.  I could have added oatmeal, like traditional apple crisp recipes, but then Her-Highness Miss Olivia would have turned up her nose. Oh and this isn't my pictures, its from google. But really looks like what came out of my oven)


6 apples - peeled, cored and chopped

1 dash ground cinnamon  (I used more than a dash, never heard of using too much cinnamon with apples, HA!)

1 dash ground nutmeg (I used "apple pie" spice I had on hand, and again, more than a dash, who are they kidding?)

1/2 cup brown sugar (ok, totally used a whole cup)

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

4 tablespoons butter, diced (Olivia did the dicing)

1 pinch salt (opps, forgot the salt)

 
Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.Place apples in a pie pan and dust with cinnamon and nutmeg. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.

3.In a food processor, pulse brown sugar, flour, butter and salt until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle topping over apples.

4.Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.


It was really yummy and so easy.  We added homemade whipped cream (because it was already out on the table with our coffee fixin's) and served it right out of the oven.  The house smelled divine :)

Hugs and happy chatting over coffee :)



1 comment:

sarah A said...

this sounds delicious! i will def be trying this for the super bowl!!! thanks :)