Friday, July 29, 2011

home remedy gone smelly

We have been so blessed this summer to have spent MANY days at various pools with friends.

While this is SERIOUS summer fun we are having.  My hair has taken a beating.

What does this have to do with mayonnaise?

Well...

I have heard that when your hair is extra dry, you can use mayonnaise as a conditioning treatment.

The other day we were all out of conditioner.  And since I am making a HUGE effort to not run out for things, because of my lack of planning in between Friday's, I decided to give the mayo a try.

I washed my hair in the shower, towel dried it and made my way to the kitchen.

I am a girl who LOVES a little mayo on a sandwich.  Add some mayo to a veggie dip and I am in heaven.  But the thought of smearing this beloved condiment into my hair made me nauseous.

Reminding myself that I am TRYING to be more resourceful, I pressed on.

I smeared it in my hair.  I covered my head with a baggie and wrapped a towel on top.

It wasn't so bad really.  Then I rinsed it and re-washed it.

My hair was really soft!  and smooth!  I was pleasantly surprised!

I dried it, styled it and thought I was pretty smart.

Then I went outside to water flowers.  Something about walking outside into the major heat and humidity made me get a big whiff of mayo-hair.  I rushed back inside to spray my grape-scented hairspray to cover up the mayo smell. 

Needless to say, I think this really works.  My hair was softer and smoother, but I smelled like a sandwich.  I may try again with Olive Oil, because if I had to choose, I think I would rather smell like hummus, than mayo. 

Hugs and happy home-remedies!

When my kids read this in years to come they are going to think I am crazy :)

No comments: