Saturday, July 23, 2011

Snack

Every now and then we run COMPLETELY out of groceries before grocery day.    (not really, we always have food, but I like use what we have, learning to be creative instead of making extra grocery trips.)

The other day I was trying to come up with a fun snack for the kids with the remaining groceries we had.  And I came across this Kettle Corn recipe.  The kids LOVED it!  We take it in the car, take it to the pool and have it home.  I'm so excited!   I think it would be fun to add peanuts and maybe Goldfish. 

I love that it is a whole-grain snack.  We ran out of our non-GMO popcorn and had to substitute with what we could find on our side of town.  The first batch I used regular white sugar, but then bought some cane sugar and the flavor is wonderful. 

Here is the recipe:

1/4 c. veg oil
1/2 c. popcorn kernals
1/3 c. sugar
salt

Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the sugar and popcorn. Cover, and shake the pot constantly to keep the sugar from burning. Once the popping has slowed to once every 2 to 3 seconds, remove the pot from the heat and continue to shake for a few minutes until the popping has stopped. Pour into a large bowl, and allow to cool, stirring occasionally to break up large clumps.  Stir and add salt.

Easy. inexpensive. lovely.

Hugs! 

(Stay tuned for my post on homemade laundry soap!  I am seriously hooked for life. )


No comments: