We do alot of laundry.
Apparently 4 people can generate alot of dirty clothes and it seems that we use about 14 towels per day (slight exaggeration).
I saw an episode of "19 Kids and Counting" where they made their own laundry soap. I was inspired but it was a BIG process with boiling water, dissolving soap into gallons of water, etc. So when a friend shared this recipe I was so excited!
2 cups grated Fels-Naptha bar ($.97)
1 cup washing soda ($3.36)
1 cup borax ($3.24)
(these prices are from Wal-mart)
mix well, store in air-tight container. Use 2 Tablespoons per full load.
I estimate that we currently spend $10-$15/month on laundry soap and softener. These ingredients cost $7.57. I will need to buy a new Fels-Naptha bar each time I need to make a new batch. I'm anxious to see how long the boxes of borax and washing soda last, (they are good size boxes!) but we may be down to spending about $20 for a YEAR of laundry.
How well does it work?
I tested my first load on stinky, moist towels that had been sitting in laundry room for 2 days. They came out smelling clean and WONDERFUL!!! AND they come out softer, so I haven't been using fabric softener. My theory is that this detergent mix rinses out cleaner than the commercial laundry soap.
I don't think I will EVER buy commercial soap again.
Hugs! and happy laundry day!
No comments:
Post a Comment