Saturday, September 10, 2011

Barbecue Sauce

I have a few reasons for trying this one.  First of all, it is hard to find barbecue sauce without high fructose corn syrup.  Second of all, and this is a big one, Tommy would put barbecue sauce on cold cereal he loves it that much, so we use alot.  :)  and third, this making stuff from scratch is really growing on me.  I can put my own ingredients together to make the same thing (or very similar) from the store. 



Love this simple, easy recipe I found in the Reader's Digest Homemade book

1 medium onion, chopped (I put pureed it)
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup water
2 T Worchestire Sauce (we didn't have this on hand so I used steak sauce and eliminated the vinegar)
2 T sugar ( I used brown sugar because I LOVE the flavor)
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 T mustard
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Simmer all for 20 min.  Store in fridge for 1 week or frozen for 6 months. 

(I brought mine to a boil so it would thicken a bit.  )

Also, we found another use for the chocolate sauce:


drizzled over chocolate chip cookie bars.  YUMMY in the tummy  :)

and finally,

Just wanted to report that we are in our 3rd week without paper towels.  It is going so well!  I still by baby wipes for quick floor clean ups.  But we now just use cloth for napkins and kitchen clean-up.  Yay for saving the earth and a few dollars :)

Hugs and happy Saturday!   


No comments: