
Last night during Survivor I had a parenting-panic moment. We really don't watch real TV (TV that is not a kids show) with our kids. Usually they are in bed before we even turn it to our shows. With the exception of America's Funniest Videos (which they LOVE) and of course ESPN, Baseball or Football.
.
Anywhoo, last night the kids got to stay up a little later (thanks to random naps) and Olivia and I climbed into our bed to watch Survivor.
.
I silently pray there won't be bad language. I covered her eyes during the CSI previews.
.
I cringed during the Victoria's Secret commercial for their new line of Bras.
.
Needless to say I was pretty exhausted from my relaxing hour of Survivor. :)
.
Then came a question that made me panic.
.
Russell gave Parvati a hidden immunity idol (if you watch Survivor, this is a pretty bid deal). After which Parvati (wearing a tiny swimsuit) gave Russell a big, pretty flirty hug.
.
Olivia: "So, they are married?"
.
OH NO! What do I say? Why are TV shows so suggestive? Should I call Tommy in here so we can tackle this together? She has been asking about divorce lately, will this confuse her? Will my response make her think she can't hug the men in her life?
,
I know, probably overkill in the mommy-panic moment. But I panicked because I want her to know the sanctity of marriage. I panicked because of the innocence she has that I don't want TV to ruin. I just panicked.
.
Me: "Do you think they are married because they hugged?"
.
Olivia: "Yes because that is what married people do"
.
Me: "You're right sis." (major panic setting in, what do I say now?) "Its ok to give people hugs, but I don't think married people in their swimsuits should hug other people they aren't married to in a way that looks like they are married, do you ?"
.
I think I even confused myself trying to get that statement out right.
.
Silence, as she thought, that lasted FOREVER! Pretty sure I missed 3 whole minutes of Survivor during all of this.
.
Olivia: "Yeah, because of all of the hair."
.
Whew! I was so relieved! Trying not to laugh I rushed out to tell Tommy.
.
I'm exhausted. :)
.
Have a good weekend! Hugs from Indy!
2 comments:
Good Golly! You are facing the same stuff that I am facing! My kids, with being a little older, don't end so quickly but good job in the way that you handled it!
love
susie
Well, I'm the bad parent that makes Survivor night a big deal in our house! Growing up, my family all watched the Cosby show on Thursday nights and now we all plop ourselves down on Thursday nights to tune into Survivor! I find that they are really only paying attention after "come on in guys" and the games. They don't really watch the rest, but I'm sure they're listening.
We cover their eyes during every commercial b/c they are horrible and Jon and I give each other looks everytime they use a bad word and hope that if we don't make a big deal out of it, it will just blow over.
Our world has certainly changed in the last 25 years!
Post a Comment