Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Eye opening trip to Target

This morning I packed up the kids and set out for a trip to Target. We needed to by 2 things, Lysol and strawberry syrup. These 2 items would cost approximately $5.50.

The receipt they gave me said $43.24! That can't be right! I just picked up a FEW extra things! The raspberries looked SOOO good! and they are so good for you so that is ok right? And Logan really loves cheddar cheese and the little cubed cheese in the bag are so convenient, I wouldn't want poor Logan to starve right? And I have been wanting to try meatless chicken nuggets for the kids and they caught my eye, so I got those too. Logan is taking probiotics for his tummy and the dr said to put the powder in something cool, so we needed more pudding. Of course there were other items as well but you get the idea. My point is, I planned to buy 2 things spending $5.50 but instead spent much more. While nothing I purchased was bad, or a waste, it wasn't part of my plan.

I have been struggling with planning our spending for awhile now. We have a Kroger and a CVS literally in our backyard, we could walk there, if we didn't have to cross a busy road. Can I blame my lack of planning on the extremely close proximity of stores just waiting to take our money?

Oddly enough, I came across an article when I got home. The article addresses poor planning and over spending (Yes, God, I hear you!). It suggests picking one day a week (to start) and declaring it your "No Spending Day". That means checking your gas tank the day before, writing out your meals to be sure you have everything for the next day. Packing lunches. Packing snacks in the car. Etc. It also means no eating out as well. This isn't too hard for us, but I do love a diet coke from McDonalds and the kids love their cookies.

So I am choosing Thursdays as our day. I will check the gas tank, plan our meals for the next day, etc. I will also re-route our trips out, not passing our favorite "treat" spots.

The article suggests adding more "No spending days" as you go. This may not seem like a big deal for some of you, but it is for me. I have gotten lazy in my planning... Anyone want to join me for "No spending Thursdays?" All are welcome!


(The funny thing is, I told Olivia that she couldn't buy anything because we were saving money. HA! Who am I kidding?)

(The real kicker is, I forgot to buy Lysol.)

7 comments:

Susie said...

I had a similar trip to Target last week but my total was closer to $100!! I too was shocked!!

let me know how your new plan works out for you!

Unknown said...

Target stratigizers would be so so very proud!!! That is their goal. I've heard that some retailers actually put video cameras in isles to see what gets customers to stop and look at items.

This happens with me ALL the time with Target. I seriously love that store so very much!!! Good thing it's 20 minutes away. :)

Good luck with the Thursday thing. I'd love to join you..but I have plans to hit Old Navy and TARGET tonight. :)

Mom of Double A said...

OK-I already failed at the Thursday no spending rule!
Sorry, this is going to be harder than it appears!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean Jilly! I was going to take the kids to the library this afternoon but we have a small fine to pay, can't go today! :)

Anonymous said...

I struggle with this too - fortunately I live so stinkin' far away from any place I can spend money. I have been trying to really watch our grocery bill and cut out things we don't really need. Tough to do! Good luck. I think I will join you on this venture.

Kim said...

Great idea Stacey! I hope it works for you! I never like it when the check out person asks, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" And I always want to respond, "Yes, and then some!" They really get you. I am going to try out your spend no money day, but I have to figure out which day that will work best!

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I will have to pick a day as well. We'll have to encourage each other and update our progress. :)