Sunday, August 10, 2008

Parents of Teenagers...

Working as a co-coordinator in the nursery-two's area at church grants me the wonderful opportunity to really get to know my volunteers (25 or so each Sunday). I spoke with some parents/volunteers this weekend about the differences between the toddler stage and the teen stage. Most of the differences are quite obvious, but one of the differences just stinks.


Right now Logan and Olivia need and WANT their mommy. Selfishly, I really want it to stay this way (the wanting part, I am really hoping Logan will be potty-trained someday (smile). Realistically, I know it may change. We are going to start praying now that God gives us the wisdom, as parents, to nourish a healthy but always SUPER-CLOSE relationship with our kids. I have read about the difference between a 4th grader and 5th grader. In 4th grade, your parents still know everything. In 5th grade you don't think your parents know anything. So while we really don't care if they think we know everything, we want to always have a really close - but we can give them the distance they need - relationship.

The verse that really gives me peace about all of this is (and I can't remember where it is, Isaiah I think?)

"Great is my children's peace, for they are taught of You (God)."

1 comment:

Maria said...

the verse is isaiah 54:13...it is one i have marked for my kids too. i agree, pray pray pray that we can maintain a close healthy relationships with our kids throughout the teenage years. i enjoy your blog...