Sunday, August 31, 2008
Potty Training Advice
I need some potty training advice. For boys. It seems like Olivia potty trained herself over night so it didn't even take any thought on my end. I had not planned on trying to train Logan until he was showing CLEAR signs of being ready, and I was guessing it wouldn't' be until closer to age 3. However, he is starting to stop and say "oh no!" all while holding his diaper, when he has pottied in his diaper. So we put him on the potty a few times and he just thinks that is too fun! So I am not sure if this is a clear sign or what. I am not in a rush to do this, but I don't want to miss a window either. Please let me know how you potty trained your boys and at what age... Thanks!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Stacey, RUN WITH IT! If he shows interest do it. My youngest started training 5 months before she was 2....I thought she would probably regress but she didn't. By her 2nd birthday she was trained!! Now that is not to discourage you. My boys were not that young. But when they did show interest we went with it. I learned my lesson with the first time I potty trained. I was going to train her before my 2nd was born. She showed me. The biggest lesson I learned was to wait until they show interest. And make it fun. Lots of salty snacks, so they take lots of drinks, so that it gives you plenty of opportunity to practice going. And at first I would set a timer every 20-25 minutes to remind me to take them. And add minutes as they learn to stay dry. And a sweet treat when they go, like 1 m & m. That way they don't fill up and lose motivation to go again. And I used panties at home to train in...not pull ups.
O.k. SOrry.... now this has turned into more of a post, than a comment. Sorry. It's just so fresh on my mind, since we've just come through this season of parenting.
P.S. Thanks for your encouragement on my blog.
Hey stacey, I will tell you how I potty trained my first son and it worked perfectly. Parker isn't showing any signs yet so I haven't tried it on him. But, what I did with Jacob was pretty much went cold turkey. He was three weeks shy of his 3rd birthday and one morning I took off diaper and he went around the house with just a t-shirt on. He begged me for a diaper at first but I just kept saying, "diapers are all gone." The first time that he peed on himself he went crazy, he hated it. The second time he peed on himself, he hated it and then that was it. He never had one accident after that. He hated the feeling of pee running down his leg that he was instantly potty trained. I had prepared myself for a long drawn out process but to my surprise it was a rather quick process. I also took the potty chair in everyroom that we were in and he would sit there reading books, watching cartoons until he went potty. I did this for about three days until he could go potty by himself and learn to pull down his underwear. He was even potty trained at night. This works if you have the patience to stick with it. A cousin of mine did this with all three of her kids. So, give it a try it might work for Logan too.
Hey Stacy....How about your next post can be your un-organized desk. We could be in this together. :)
Thanks for your comment. :)
Nolan was 2 years 5 months! We tried when he turned 2 because that is when we did with isabel. He had no interest, so i gave up until he asked one day....which was at 2 and 5 months. We just started to wear underwear. I do not remember him having accidents, but since he was still in a crib, I did not try to work on nighttime....maybe a mistake since he is 4 years and 5 months and still can not stay dry all night.
Hope this helps!
Funny you mention bc we are thinking about starting with Aiden. He seems to be so much more ready than Ethan was at his same age. On the other hand I don't want to rush bc it took forever to get Ethan potty trained! I have heard boys are harder to potty train....since I don't have any girls I really don't have a comparison though.
If he is showing interest, then go for it, but don't push it if he backs off. Isaiah was a little over 2 when we potty trained him - and he was so easy!! This was because we waited for him instead of pushing him to do it. Lydia took much longer because I tried to train her before she was ready. I know they say boys are harder, but I found it to be easier, because they can go anywhere. :) I think the main thing is to follow their lead, and it sounds like Logan is saying he is ready. Good luck! By the way, I agree with an earlier comment to not use pull-ups at home. They feel like diapers and don't help them know when they are wet.
Post a Comment