Let me preface this post, Olivia learned in Miss Michelle's class at church this past weekend, that "Friends forgive others"
Ok, back to my point. Olivia and I had a VERY rough day yesterday. She just didn't listen to me and at one point really put herself in danger (running out of the car in a parking lot). This is VERY unlike her, she is always soooo good! I realize that we all have bad days, including our kids. However, when it is a bad day for her it seems to throw me off guard. After the parking lot incident, I told her how upset I was, told her I was calling daddy (this brought on the BIG tears! "PLEASE don't call daddy!"). He spoke with her on the phone, we had to stop by the church, so I had Miss Michelle speak with her about the incident too. All in all, it was a very trying afternoon. By the time we got home, I was close to tears, not able to gracefully handle much of anything after that point. Later in the afternoon, I sat her down, and told her how much I loved her and why I was so upset and hurt by how she acted. She looked me in the eyes and said "Mommy, I have to tell you something in your ear" I bent down, expecting a big apology, followed by a big hug and a speech about how I was the best mom, etc. Instead, she whispers in my ear: "I forgive you".
I ALMOST came unglued!!! She forgives me? Then I remembered what she had learned this week and she was applying it her own way. Even though I wanted to explain that I was the one forgiving her, I just let it go and thanked her. We can have the lesson on correct forgiveness context later.
THEN! This morning I really got on her because I couldn't find my brush and I asked her to stop taking my stuff! She apologized and said she won't do it again. Now comes the part where I feel like the worst mom. I found the brush in my bag. I was CERTAIN I saw her take it to play yesterday. UGH! I told her how sorry I was, this time she forgave me in the right context.
Olivia,
I love you and I am sorry for the past two days. I know you are still learning. So am I.
Mommy
4 comments:
I have always believed that your kids watch you and follow your example (whether good or bad) and the more you show her forgiveness and ask for her forgiveness she will understand the concept. Just remember Mommies have bad days too!?!?!?!
love you and keep your head up, today is a new day!
susie
You are such a good mama!!
J
Hey Stacey, It's me stalking your blog! :) Because it's 2 in the morning and I can not sleep. SO thanks for the great blog to keep me entertained.
This post is so transparent and I love it. I have had MANY days like this. Things get lost or misplaced, or not put away and I could just lose my temper. It is hard to keep your cool ALL the time. But then sometimes I think you need a "tone" to make sure the kids know you mean business. Does that make sense? Your story about Olivia is so sweet.
It melts my heart when my 2 year old says she is sorry, or any of the kids for that matter.
Ok...I'm just testing something with my blog and I had to leave you a comment to make it work (I'm trying out putting my picture in it). Anyway...HOPE YOU HAD FUN TODAY!!!!!!! MISS YOU!!!
Post a Comment