In my quest to be the ever-thankful, no matter the circumstance, child of God, I try really hard to see the positive side of everything. While I do struggle with this at times, I really do try hard. SO when we are the middle of one of the long seasons of the year, either summer or winter, I have days when I am wishing it was which-ever one it isn't, just for a mintue. Does that make sense? For instance today, took the kids for a walk. It was hot. Took the kids to an indoor playground, it was hot. Took the kids to the church, it was hot getting from the car into the building. Get the picture? At that moment I was thinking winter sounded pretty good.
BUT I do not want to wish away this season. SO I started listing, in my mind, what I loved about summer and the heat.
- The kids don't wear coats, meaning I am not stuffing kids who are too busy to stop to put on a coat, into a coat, then getting them into the car seat, where they are uncomfortable, THEN carting the coats around after they quickly take them off at our destination.
- No socks! If I happen to fall behind on the laundry (not that that EVER happens! I kid, I kid) the last thing that gets done is the sock matching. SO if we are in a hurry and the kids need socks, they may not end up with a matching pair. This really isn't a big deal, but considering the fact that your kid now doesn't have matching socks on, adding the reality that you stink at laundry, and if it happens to be that time of the month, you certainly have the makings of a good pity-party.
- Playing outside. This is a big one. I am pretty convinced that God gave moms spring, summer AND fall as opportunities to take the kids outside almost everyday. I am a winter wimp. (I know, hard to believe since I grew up in the tundra). I don't care to bundle up the kids very often, step outside into the snow and have to run back in to take someone potty.
- It stays light later - I feel that my energy often fades with the sun. So in winter, some call it seasonal-depression, I call it "the lights go out too early".
- Watching Logan run to the door when we say the magic words "go outside". I certainly don't say that very often in the winter. Maybe this winter will be different, I am vowing right now to play outside more!
These are just a few of the reasons that tomorrow when it is HOT and I am carrying a child, a big purse and probably some groceries, I WILL NOT wish, although just for a moment, that I could feel the cold air of winter on my face.
Stay tuned for the "why I love winter" post in December.

6 comments:
Stacy you are too funny!
Hey, Thanks for the comment...and that led me to check out your blog. LOVED IT! A great reminder for me. I was so overwelmed with the heat today. I couldn't be in the sun today because of sun blisters on my lips. So your blog such a great reminder for me. So glad to not be putting on coats, hats, boots, socks, etc......Thankful for the seasons and when they change. But for now, I will remember to enjoy summer.
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE warm weather....winter, not so much. Remind me again this December when it's negative 2 out why I am suppose to love that season!!! HA!!! MISS YOU!!!
Fun post Stace!
Someone once told me...the grass is greener on the other side...until you get there and realize it's just painted!
I do the same thing in the summer/winter. My favorites are fall & spring.
Good to talk with you last night!
Stacey, I love reading your blog. I think it is because it reminds me of so many things I have forgotten over the years.....things about raising children, about being a stay-at-home Mom, which I was at one time! I check in on you every day, so keep up this wonderful connection. I love you!
Kathy
My favorite season is fall, I love that it is cooler out but still nice. I love it that you can still play outside, watch football, and go to the pumpkin patch. The spring is nice also but my allergies are horrible in the month of April and May that it makes it not so fun. I really like dressing the kids in the summer bc it is so easy sandals shorts and tshirts way better than the boots coats hats and mittens of winter!!!!!
Post a Comment